Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Emotional Part of the Journey

 As i was doing some research and reading different sources, i came across this blog post. It is about the emotional part of the journey, the invisible part that no one sees.
Here it is:

For me, there is an emotional journey here as well. It would be easy to say that it is unrelated to the weight loss (because weight loss is a simple equation of "calories in, calories out" - scientifically), but truthfully nothing is unrelated (we are more than science...we are human beings). There is a value in what we are doing here with SparkPeople -- each step teaches us something new about ourselves. Each day is a chance to start new (sometimes each hour...even each minute!), but it does not mean the journey ends, changes, or starts over. Starting over daily is just another part of the journey. The process is the true gift. Losing weight is about finding ourselves.

And I'm not just talking about finding "the skinny self inside of me screaming to get out" -- although that's what I would have thought in the beginning (and I'm not above saying that finding her is still a major bonus! :)). But it's so much deeper than that. It's the ability to recognize my own value as a person and the value in every person's story. It's the beauty of knowing the awesomeness

of each day and seeing all the gifts that come with it. It's discovering that perfect theme song (see yesterday's blog) that I can feel down to my core every time I listen to it. It's learning that sometimes I need to let go of what I know in order to make room to learn and grow even more.

It's discovering that life sometimes gives us the chance for this journey because we NEED it.


Instead of wondering what we did to deserve this problem, maybe a little reframing would do some good: we GET to experience this journey. We get to find our own strengths. We are seizing the opportunity for self discovery...and we are spreading it! This journey is indeed a gift...the entire picture is a gift just as much as each moment within it. And what we will do with it?


I'm going to enjoy it and share it with the world every chance I get.


I feel incredibly blessed to have been given the chance to discover myself through my struggles. Each new struggle -- and subsequent success -- shows me more of (or reminds me again) who I am. Our struggles are gifts and opportunities, for within the struggles lie our strengths and the chance for discovery -- within the struggles lie our true selves. Who we truly are unfolds during these times and on these journeys. We gain so much more than simply losing weight.


So I hope we all will embrace the process as a chance to better know ourselves and each other. "Why me?" can only be answered by going through the journey, and then you'll find it's really, "Why not me?" Everyone has their own struggle -- their own story. This is ours. Now is our moment. This is our journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment