Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 14

Ok, so i am about to go for my 2nd weigh-in! I'm a little nervous. I don't know why. Again i am wearing the same outfit that i have worn every Tuesday for the past 3 weeks (so my weigh-in weight isn't compromised by what im wearing. If im wearing the same thing then we know we just weighing me.Jeans are heavier than tights and will make me heavier on the scale type thing.etc. Petty but very important!).

The diet is tough and to stick to it is taking a lot of inner strength!Only because my acute fear of failure is starting to kick in. My brain is starting to tell me i can't do this. Luckily i KNOW i can! AND I AM!!!
I recognize the need for one to lean on God's strength. The need to be able to be strong enough to stand up for what it is you standing for. Not to be swayed by mind games, adjustable by circumstance or nudged by temptation. As i type this paraghraph i can actually hear the people say 'come on, its loosing weight, its not some massive mountain'. When your weight is what you have hid behind for years and years, the physical aspect of the process of loosing weight is sometimes the easier bit.
Here is an exert from an article written by Craig Harper
Conventional thinking tells us that losing weight is essentially a physiological process; lift this, run there, stretch that, get your heart rate up, decrease your calorie intake, no carbs after three (crapola) and increase your energy expenditure.
Mostly good advice.

And traditional approaches (by the medical profession and the fitness industry) tell us that weight loss is essentially about three key variables; exercise, food and lifestyle.
Oh yeh, and more education.
And to a point, they are right.
But only to a point.

I'm here to tell you that while exercise, food, lifestyle and education are indeed important variables in the process, without doubt, the biggest determinant of weight loss (or gain) is what's going on in that nine pound (four kilo) thing sitting on the top of our shoulders.

Yet the psychology of weight loss is rarely discussed (in any depth) by the 'experts'.
And in my humble opinion, that's because many of them don't get it.
It.. being the head stuff that goes with the body stuff.

If you have been, or are currently, overweight, then you absolutely know that losing weight is first and foremost a psychological and emotional process.
I was a fatty (200lbs, 90kgs at fourteen)... and when I got my head in the right place, my body followed.
I thought different, chose different(ly) and created different.

Im going to do some more research on this topic and get back to you! DEFINITELY!!!

Since i started this journey (not necessarily this Challenge) i have lost a total of 6kg's. Since mid Jan. Not too shabby Nig!Of course that is besides today's weigh in.

Saying a prayer!

Dini you are the sunshine of my life!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL can't believe you wear the same outfit to all your weight-ins!!! :) it does make sense in a weird way, and yes, jeans are heavier, but the EXACT SAME everytime, just in case?!

    I LOVE where you're going with the research into the Head Aspect of weight loss...
    I def agree that just like with running a marathon, 90% of lifestyle(and weight) changes occur in your head, and 10% is training and running(or discipline... ouch!)
    Does "Battlefield of the Mind" mention anything about it?
    How did your weigh-in yesterday go? what were the results?

    ReplyDelete